This is an older excerpt from the Gourmet Retailer magazine:
Tips for Cooking with Cheese
(as seen in The Gourmet Retailer)
- Low and slow is key to using cheese in the kitchen. Low temperatures and slow cooking.
- If you must cook a dish at a higher temperature for a longer period of time, add some starch like cornstarch or flour. It will prevent the cheese from curdling and separating.
- Acid (lemon juice or vinegar) will keep melted cheese from becoming stringy.
- When using cheese as a topping for baked dishes, add cheese toward the end of the cooking time.
- When using cheese in a sauce, add small bits at a time and stir constantly, or when possible, add in the cheese after removing the sauce from the heat.
- As with any other ingredient, the better quality cheese you use, the better the finished dish will undoubtedly be.